I find myself caught between this world. My family telling me what I should be doing with my life and what they think is best.
Telling me that "I am not a reporter anymore, and glad you are out of there."
They might as well slap me across the face and dump me in the trash, that's how I feel every time they say that.
It breaks my already broken heart, a little more each time.
Don't get me wrong, I don't plan to go back. I am done with newspapers. I can't bare go back and start from scratch. I have been the editor and general manager of a weekly. I won a three year fellowship and I have covered an execution and a murder trial, but going back is not an option.
There's something about this career that I love so much, but I knew I never belonged in. I fought my way in, had so many struggles. Had so many people telling me that I didn't belong there, but I continue on. I wanted to prove to myself that this was more than just a "dream" I wanted to make it in the newspaper business.
Once I applied for a New York Times fellowship, and instead got what I call "rejection" letter. It's a letter from an editor telling me I didn't get the fellowship, but that I also needed to take a hard look at my writing.
I am glad she did that. I appreciate it and took it to heart.
I wanted to be a part of it.
I retired last week after a 12-week stay at a daily paper that in my opinion, needs new management. This editor yelled at me every time time she had a chance. She would make me feel like a worthless piece of shit. She would tell me my writing was getting worse with each article I wrote.
Some friends would say she was just jealous. Others would just tell me, "Hey, it the nature of the beast. That's what happens when you are a daily reporter."
Well, maybe I thought, I am just not cut out to be a daily reporter anymore.
I have left three newspapers in a year and declined two job offers. I am a woman who knows what I want. But have I gone too far this time?
I went four months with a job and for a workaholic like me, the worst experience of my life.
This was after I had just started working at a weekly back home. A job I accepted and was excited about.
Working three years at a weekly as an editor and a general manager, it was hard work, but I loved it.
But I left anyway. I left to be the editor of another weekly, but that was short lived. I was called by a neighboring paper, asking if I was interested in their editor position. They had heard I was coming home and they wanted me.
After talking to them, I accepted the job and declined the original job.
This next job turned out to be a bad decision.
A month after I started working there, I was being accused of insubordination by the publisher. Something she had used a few other times with other reporters she was trying to get rid of, in my opinion.
When I realized what she was doing, I walked out before they would fire me.
Four months later, and two job offers, which I declined, I accepted a job at a small daily. But with mandatory furloughs, I knew I was not going to make it financially.
Another editor, who I had been in talks with before taking on this job, invited me for an interview. I left with a job offer.
So I left for this job.
A few days after I accepted the job, the claws came out.
"Don't worry, you will learn a lot from her," one reporter said.
"But when?" I thought.
She spends almost everyday yelling and telling me of all the "problems" I have in every article.
So after 12 weeks I walked out, again.
Was this a pattern building up? Is this something that I would be doing for the rest of my life?
No comments:
Post a Comment