Friday, January 17, 2014

Follow me back into the sun

There are times when I like to just drive to clear my mind. My favorite music playing on my iPhone, the sound blaring from my speakers and I am dancing to the beat of the song, without a care in the world. 

Car window rolled down, the sun hitting my face, the soft, silky wind flowing through my skin. The sounds and smells hitting my senses all at once. Sometimes when I am driving in the middle of nowhere, I want to park on the side of road, get out of my car and close my eyes to experience nature with no limits, no walls to protect me.

I am not sure why I thought of this tonight as I sat in my bed, flipping through channels feeling a little low. 

Perhaps it was because the day ended with an unexpected twist, something that I did not see coming in any way. But that's the thing about life, sometimes it can hit you unexpectedly, like two cars crashing head on. You just have to ask yourself, are you ready for it? Do you want to take it head on, or do you walk away from it and pretend it to go away.

I have never been one to shy away from anything. I have always been wide awake to the idea that life cannot happen, unless I fall hard, with an open heart.

Tonight I had what I think of as a very raw conversation with someone about something. (I may be blogging in a very public forum, but this I shall keep private).

The subject of conversation does not matter. Putting feelings aside, this person is important in my life. I am glad we had an understanding.

Following the reading of the story we read this entire week, in today's lesson, I asked the students to take a few minutes and write a few sentences about this, "If your present self could call anyone from five years ago, who would you call and what would you say?" 

All day, kids asked me who I would call. For some classes I made up any answer, told them I would call a past president, or call a teacher from college. But after this conversation tonight, I would say that I would call myself and tell myself that all will be ok. There will be heart breaks, there will be tears, much success will come my way. I would change careers twice and not live to regret my decision. But most importantly, I would tell myself that everything is going to be ok. The storm will be strong, but this too shall pass, just make sure you hold on tight and enjoy the ride.

No comments: