My boss asked me to write the following letter. I think I did a good job don't go think?
My decision to become a teacher was not a decision I made lightly. I knew I had the credentials, and getting the job would be the easy part. Actually standing in front of teenagers and teaching them content - that is very hard.
Teaching was something that came to mind every time I went to cover a school event. Whether it was a bond election I was covering, a school board meeting or writing about the new whiteboards installed in classrooms, I found myself staying longer. I enjoyed watching teachers and the students reactions. I enjoyed watching the teachers take charge of their students and the content - this always inspired me.
After all, it was my English teacher in high school that inspired me to follow my dream to become a writer. She was a young, first-year teacher who came to La Joya ISD in my second semester of sophomore English. I remember she was inexperienced, but I remember I watched as she tried to control her loud classroom and even at times, being in tears, as the principal came to our room to discipline us for not paying attention to her. Then one day a friend of mine and I watched her from the window practicing her lesson. I always wondered why she was speaking to an empty room, now that I am a teacher, I understand what she was doing. She was trying to become a better teacher, someone who knew the content forward and backward.
Throughout my first year teaching, Ms. Martinez always came to my mind, and I remember sitting by her and asking about her life. Why was she teaching? What did she enjoy the most about teaching? And I remember she said, "I want to teach because I want to pass on what I have learned to others. I know it may not feel that way to you, but that is my goal. This has been very rewarding."
All I have known for most of my adult life has been newspapers. My dream was to live a fun, fulfilling newspaper career and retire as the publisher of a strong daily newspaper.
I always felt I wanted to be a part of something bigger. I wanted to make a difference. And as cliche as that may sound, that is the truth. I knew staying in the newspaper industry would not bring me the satisfaction that I have felt this year.
The rewards this year have brought tears to my eyes. Even though I know I am a long way from becoming an experienced teacher, I have had those few moments where a student actually understood the lesson I was bringing to them. The look in their eyes, the "lightbulb" moment. And hearing them say, "Oh, miss, I get it!"
Being a reporter satisfied my hunger for writing, but I didn't feel I was contributing to a deeper sense of purpose. This year alone I have taught the content, but I have also taught compassion, for kids to make wise choices and be respectful and kind.
This summer I plan to go back to school - per se. If I am going to continue being a teacher, I must become an expert at my subject. I plan to make the summer my classroom and submerge and teach myself all there is to know about 9th grade English with books I will be purchasing. I also plan to read literature books and short stories from the Holt Literature book and learn every unit.
I also plan to make passing my certification exam a priority and plan to study the content of the test regularly.
I understand I will be in an intervention lesson plan and I welcome it with open arms. Being in the plan this year, has taught me to be accountable for each lesson and what I will be teaching the students.
I don't want to just be a teacher that will explain and demonstrate the content. I want to be a teacher that will inspire and help students appreciate the subject.
I plan to come in to the 2014-2015 school year 110 percent stronger, with more self confidence and more knowledge.
Adriana
No comments:
Post a Comment