Tuesday, June 17, 2014

The coffee spill heard around the world

This morning I skipped going to the RLWT, I was just not in the mood to go. I am doing this as volunteer work, and although I get bored doing nothing, I don't want this to start feeling like a job. So I got up, got dressed and headed to my second home, Starbucks. I like to get hot coffee if I get here in the mornings, or iced coffee if it's mid morning. Since I got here at 9 am, I got my hot coffee. The baristas know that I like my venti Pike Place brew with room for cream. I like to put in some half and half, vanilla powder (if they have any) and my five packets of Equal. I sat down at my favorite spot, took out my mini iPad and my new (not soon to be ruined) earbuds and listened to music. 

Then this happened:


I didn't know how to react. I saw my entire cup go down. My first instinct was to grab my iPhone, mini iPad and purse moved out of the way. Then I picked up the cup. This has never, ever happened to me. This is sacrilegious! This should never happen. It's holy coffee! I once said, "coffee is my religion, and Starbucks is my church!" I know, a little dramatic there, but this is my go to place for fun and escape. This is my Cheers bar, where everyone knows my name, except, you know, they serve me large quantities of caffeine as opposed to alcohol.

I walked up to Jamine, my favorite barista, and told her what I had done. She started laughing because I was freaking out.

"I am sorry!" I explained. "Give me a mop, I will clean."

One of the guys cleaned it up and told me he was just going to give me a hard time when I come back tomorrow. I told him I wanted to clean it up because I am here everyday and don't want to be on their bad side. He laughed.

"You are cool, you are a regular," he said.

The thing is, I know this is what they do. This is their job, to sell coffee and serve it to people. But I see them differently. They laugh with me, joke with me and ask me about work. It's their job, but they go above and beyond. This has happened with any Starbucks I regularly visit. When I lived in Bay City and drove to the Starbucks, 50 miles away, they knew my order. I went there once a week, every Sunday and they knew my order! Am I romanticizing this place? Probably. But I know, that I feel right at home when I am here.

No comments: