Thursday, October 23, 2014

Word of the day: Observation

Yesterday during my 7th period I was observed. It wasn't just a regular observation, it was one by none other then my boss. Yep, the big guy. The big enchilada. The one that runs things. I was showing the kids clips of the story we had read. I was hesitant at first because I had asked for permission to show the movie, but alas, I had been told not to. Bummer. But I figured a few minutes of a few scenes would not be an issue.

So sure enough, as it always happens, I had sat down, after about 30 min of standing and reading to the kids and began to show the clip. My sub co teacher, who was sitting next to me, taps me on the arm and says, "Mr. Cedillo, outside....door." Aaaak. My objectives said nothing about video! He's going to write that down. Sweet baby Jesus I am in trouble for sure.

I cut the clip shot and started talking to the kids, in the dark. We had turned off the lights. But I panicked. I got nervous. I was drawing a blank. Literally a blank. We had just finished reading the story and comparing clips to scenes of story was supposed to have been an easy few minutes.

I start talking about the phone in the movie. Then I talk about when I was younger and how we had no cell phone. "Oh lord I make no sense." Think of something else to say! I thought to myself. I hope the look of horror was not visible in my face, but let's face it, I am sure it was.

We talk about it a little more and I am keeping track of the time. He was there almost 10 min, either that or I was so nervous I lost track of time. 

Then he left. My kids looked at me and laughed. "Ms. What happened to you?" One asked. They went on to tell me I was calm as a whistle one second and as soon as he showed up, I looked nervous and talked way too much.

Truth be told, when I get nervous I giggle and uncontrollably talk way too much.

My review was fine. He said some positive things and I was relieved. Until next time, I hope I don't sound like an idiot.

No comments: