Monday, December 15, 2014

Electric youth

Today was fast paced. Some classes were really into the review, other classes not so much. Some wanted to work in groups, others individually. Whichever way they worked, they were always glad we went over the answers at the end of class of all the questions. I was surprised to see some took it as a competition. They would get the right answer and get up and cheer. I am glad for that.

During my conference, I headed to my favorite coffee place. I was craving a peppermint mocha. My favorite.

I do my usual walking down the office and wave hello to everyone. Even if they think I am weird, I stop by and share a few laughs. Usually if my boss is there, I stop and chat a bit. Today we had a good coffee conversation. He told me his coffee business plan and I think it's awesome. I was seriously excited for it myself and told him I would be one of the first customers in line. No kidding. That idea really got me thinking. Anyway, that would be cool.

My crazy day ended up with an observation. Some kids were sleeping, others wouldn't stay quiet and others we're just trying to "show off" as they told me the minute my department chair left. I was annoyed. I always tell them they come in to observer me and make sure I am doing a good job, and some laugh and say, "we know, ms." They give me that look, as in "we know so we want you to get in trouble." Needless to say, my mini lesson went OK, sort off. I knew some of them were not writing notes, some had no pencils and why wouldn't they? Everyday it's the same group in the last period that don't come prepared. It's that ongoing battle that happens everyday.

I left work soon after and went for some dinner. I took my time. I wondered what the server thought of me. "Is she ever going to leave?" I like to make them wonder sometimes.

Tomorrow will be a very tiresome day. We will be sitting down in our assigned sections and control the flow of kids coming in and out of the bathrooms during the testing periods. I will be prepared with my coffee, snacks and a good book or magazine to read. Until then, good night.

No comments: