I have been staring at the keyboard and monitor screen already for quiet some time this morning, not sure exactly what to write or where to start. Grabbed another cup of coffee, read a few news sites and Prudence the dog has made herself comfortable and has fallen asleep on my lap.
This is what my new life is now. Waking up early, drinking coffee and taking care of a dog while I send off my resume and patiently wait for an editor of a newspaper call me and tell me they desperately need me to work for them.
And not having a job has its ups and downs.
For this workaholic, the idea of not having a job is unthinkable. I have worked most of my life. I have been everything from being a waiter at the Olive Garden to a Burger King employee. I don't do well with having time off. Ask anyone. At my job with the Victoria Advocate, I had about 28 days of vacation. Work is something that keeps me going, specially when what you are doing is something that you truly love and appreciate.
But now I am still waking up at 5 a.m. with no place to go, and that is the honest, brutal truth.
But as many of you know, I left my editor job a few weeks ago. Why you might ask? Well, it's complicated and won't get into the specifics of what happened, that lead me to now not having a place to go to work.
Don't feel sorry for me. I made a decision that I knew would change the course of my life, but I know in my heart the decision was the right thing to do.
It has been 11 days since the last time I worked. But I am blessed to have friends and family who are there to support me, even if I know they think I was crazy to walk away.
This new life or "chapter" in my life that I am living will be a good opportunity for me to explore the side of my life that I have not explored in so long - my personal life.
For me, work defined my life, it's just the way I've had it for so long. I have to be honest with you, not having a job makes me feel vulnerable and naked. Like I am walking the streets, with nowhere to go.
I guess in a way, a self conscious way, I have given myself a forced vacation.
For now, this blog, which I've had since 2003 will be my writing wall. A place for me to express what I am feeling, what crazy thing I am not doing and a place I can just write and not forget my craft.
How has your work day been? Email me acosta6348@gmail.com
No comments:
Post a Comment