Friday, April 18, 2014

The bucket list

So like everyone, I have a bucket list. Some things are silly, others are actual things I would like to do and places to go visit. Items that I have crossed off include becoming a journalist, becoming an editor, working for a daily newspaper, witnessing a Texas Death Row execution and even touring a nuclear power plant as they are conducting a refueling outage. Click HERE for the entry I wrote about my visit. Well, some of those items are from my "journalist" bucket list. My personal bucket list include taking road trips, visiting places and doing crazy things.

Today I was able to cross two bucket list items off my personal list. It was so much fun. I left for Amarillo about 6:30 am. Well, first I stopped at Jum Burrito and Starbucks and the headed out.


I had no idea what I would encounter or what would happen. All I knew was that I was going to eat at The Big Texan and I was going to visit the Cadillac Ranch, and both things I did. Bucket list - check!

I arrived at the restaurant at 10:30 am. So decided to walk around and take photos and went to the gift shop.


About 11 am I walked in. One might think it's silly to get excited about visiting a restaurant, but someday I would love to attempt this:


YOLO right? 

But I opted for the Man vs Food tribute dish. It's the exact same thing as the 72 oz, except it's 18 oz and it comes with a side salad, a baked potato and two rolls.


OMG it took me about 50 minutes to finish this. And yes, I ate the entire sucker up.

Once I finished, paid and attempted to get up, I walked around some more and headed out to a store to find some paint spray. My next stop would be Cadillac Ranch and I wanted to go prepared. My name is just way too long, so I left "Adri 2014" in three cars.



It was so windy and taking pictures was rather difficult, but I managed to take one of me with the cars behind it.


After the visit, I didn't really want to do anything else. Had I had company, I probably would have stayed longer. My mom, once she saw my posts on Facebook wanted to know why I was once again off visiting places on my own. "I have no one mother." Is my usual reply to her. Sometimes I want to tell her that I am probably not dateable and men just don't want me. And that's ok mother!

I am so used to going out alone that a day trip for me is no big deal. A coworker was telling me yesterday that there is no way on earth she can ever be on her own. There is no way she can ever venture alone with no one to talk to. I felt a little proud that I have been able to do that for most of my adult life. Yes, it would be nice to have someone to be with and hang with and go to places with, but why do I want to stay home and wait, when I can go out now, on my own and enjoy and explore? 

I know my mother worries about me, but worrying is not going to get us anywhere. That lesson I learned hard these past few weeks. Something I have known for a long while, but my feelings got in the way.

Anyway, I drove back and now I am here. So tired, sleepy. I am so glad and happy I had this time to reflect. Driving always clears my mind. It makes me see life differently and now my path doesn't seem so distorted. The worries I have had for a while, have all been placed aside. I know what I have to do. I know what I must do and I have this trip to thank. Until next time, let's see what other bucket list items I can cross out.








No comments: