During 7th period we had a lockdown. I thought it was the lockdown they had mentioned we would have as practice today, but after 20 minutes of lockdown, I knew something was up. Procedure calls for lights off, silence and all students away from the door. In case there is a shooter, they can't see anyone through the window. Texting other teachers and going to the local news websites, it turned out that there was a shooting not two blocks from the school. For video and Info go here:
http://www.newswest9.com/story/25343481/officials-on-the-scene-of-shots-fired-call-in-midland
It was tiresome to keep the kids calm. Most just wanted to talk and be on their phones and run around. We were on lockdown at 2:30 pm and by 6 pm we were released by the superintendent to go home. They began with a controlled release, which meant that they released them by sections. It was tough, but the majority of the kids were well behaved. We waited outside, behind the gym for buses and parent pick up. It was weird to be on Friday "bus duty" with police surrounding us, police sirens and a helicopter flying in circles.
And truth be told, my reporter self wanted to be at the scene of the crime. Whenever breaking news happened, my job as the breaking news reporter was to get in my car and drive to cover the news. I wanted nothing but run and begin reporting. I know, I have retired, I must let that side of me go. But I was happy and excited and thrilled and I haven't felt that rush in so long. It was a good feeling.
I do miss reporting, so much, but I can't look back anymore. I have decided to move forward.
Looking forward to rhe weekend! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment