Tuesday, April 22, 2014

To jail and back

I have been reading my old blog from my days working as the editor of the Matagorda Advocate. There are few entries that I cannot believe they let me write and made it to print, and there's others that just had to be written. Below is one from my day In jail as part of the law enforcement academy I joined.

To Jail and Back
July 9, 2012

There are many things in life that I have done willingly and with no fear. From leaving a great job at Dell Computers to following my dream of becoming a journalist.

But never had I willingly walked into a place I know I shouldn't be in, unless I have good reason to. Last week, I boldly went where I had never gone before: to the Matagorda County jail. Sure, I have gone to get the arrests for our popular cops and courts page, but I never wandered behind the opposite side.

How did I manage this? I got accepted to the Matagorda County Law Enforcement Academy and as a member I get to ride with officers, volunteer where I am needed and learn some interesting law enforcement things, including volunteering at the jail.

And me being the curious reporter that I am, I took the opportunity without thought.

That morning, as the jail guards explained to us before we went in what was going to happen and what we needed to do, I began to feel fear. "Should I keep standing here listening to him give instructions," I thought, "Or should I make a run for it?" This was a volunteer job and surely there was no need for me to be here if I didn’t want to. But I gave them my word, and volunteer I would do.

Once inside the jail we were asked to be silent as we walked the hallways. It was cold and smelled like a high school locker room.

I walked through security, past two small metal doors, and was directed to the end of the hallway, where I faced a big, thick metal door with the words, “cell M.”

We were all wearing blue latex gloves and comfortable clothing.

I stared at the door in disbelief. Was I really going inside? I asked myself. If I was really here as a prisoner, would I feel this fear?

We were then asked to step inside the jail cell.

A wave of fear crawled up, and I started to feel a little faint. Nervousness, tingling and warmth took over my body, and I began to sweat a little.

I always joke that I hope I never get to go inside for real. Well this time, I was. Once inside, we were greeted with metal bars, that once walking in, there was no turning back. Everything was metallic. Metal bunk beds, table, a toilet with no privacy wall and a shower. The only comfort was the sight of a television. At least I can know what’s going on outside of these four walls.

We were instructed to look under the bed, and confiscate any items inmates were not allowed to have.

As I looked through inmate belongings, pulling covers and sheets, I couldn’t help but tear up. I was going through someone else’s belongings, seeing hand-written letters, books they have probably read a million times and Bibles they had under their pillows. A little part of this cell was their own.

And I began to wonder what I would do if I ever ended up inside this cell.

Would I sit in bed all day reading or would I watch endless hours of television? As a child, the thought of jail freaked me out. As an adult, being confined in a cell, scared me.

I was only inside that jail for a few hours, but it was enough to scare me to never joke when I get the arrests every week. This was an experience I will remember forever. The fear and sadness I felt while I was there matched the emotion that overcame me the first time I ever had to cover a drowning. These things stay with you and every time you listen to a song, or smell something familiar from that day, the feelings come right back.

I am so glad to be a part of the law enforcement academy; this program is allowing me to get a behind the scenes glimpse of what men and women in uniform do every day so our community can be safe.

My hope is to leave this program and have a better understanding of what law enforcement does every day.

This is something everyone in the community should learn to understand.


No comments: