Wednesday, April 23, 2014

When I got my first job in the "corporate world" I was excited beyond belief. Here I was, fresh out of college, with only an internship of experience under my belt. Not knowing much of the real world, a job offer I was given and off I went to explore this new life.

A year or so later, I was having a conversation with a coworker, who was one of the ones that interviewed me at the time and told me that when they were decided if they should hire me, one of the managers had said no. It was 2 out of 3 who agreed to hire me on. The one who had said no, told them I was not right for the job, I had no experience and I would not make a good asset to the company. At that moment my hear sunk. I was heartbroken. Why wouldn't he want me there? I was a hard working employee, top performer and turned phone support tech to online tech. I was moving up. But I decided that day I would work harder than anyone on that team. I was the only female tech in a sea of men. I showed my worth.

Similar scenarios have happened all my life. Especially with the career that I have chosen. Some have always wondered why I would chose a career in writing or English if that seems to be a weakness I have. I struggled with it most of my life, including professors who suggested I invest my time studying something else, other than English.


No comments: