Friday, May 09, 2014

In your shoes

Today went by fast. The talent show happened today and it was great to see some of my students perform in front of a large audience. As I stood there, watching kids perform one after the other, it dawned on me that that was me when I was a kid. I remember the talent shows, the clubs and the pep rallies - that was the most important thing in life. I was living in the moment, I didn't see pass the event I was attending.

Now that I am older and I watched my students give it their all today, I felt a warm feeling of memories of my time as a kid. The thought of being an adult never crossed my mind and I am sure it never crossed the kids minds today.

During bus duty, I mentioned this to Jarod. When I was a kid, the most important thing in the world was being a kid. You don't think of tomorrow. You don't think that you will someday be an adult, with a job and bills to pay.

Some of my students came up to me during bus duty and asked me if I saw them perform. I was so proud of them, so happy that they went through with it, I told them.

Tomorrow I will be judging at a UIL event at the high school and I for one am excited. In high school I competed in many UIL competitions. Debate, Speech, improve and current events were just some that I competed in. As an adult, I have judged many of them. Tomorrow shall be fun. I have never been to the high school.

For now, I am off to bed.

No comments: