Thursday, July 10, 2014

Nothing to see, hurry along

This morning I walked in to the RLWT office and the front desk lady told me she needed to talk to me. I suddenly felt like something was wrong. Was I going to get fired from my volunteer job? Had I been absent more than required? Actually we don't have a set schedule or are we required to be there, we are, after all volunteers.

In the past, "We need to talk," has always led to negative things. I can name a few, but I will not.

"Please go have a seat by my desk," she said.

Well, this was a good run. I liked volunteering here, if I am getting fired, oh well. At least I tried. I can't help it, when someone needs to talk about something and I know nothing about it, I expect the worse. It's been my experience. Especially if they just tell you to meet and discuss an item, but they don't tell you what, until you are there. It's like going blind and walking in the middle of a highway.

"I would like to go over your evaluation," she said.

Evaluation? I thought to myself. I wasn't aware I would be evaluated, but I do think this is great because how else will I know I am doing a good job or not? She had good positive things to say, I was glad. There are a few things that need improvement, but I am up for the challenge.

Vocal recording quality: Great! Constant volume.
Pace: Constant for most of the time, occasionally speeds up.
Phrasing: awkward. Some hesitation.
Pronunciations: needs to look up words.
Enunciation: ending - it's great! 
Energy: Good
Breathing noises: none
Mouth or background noises: none! Yay!

Overall a good review, but I do need to work on pronouncing words better, specially those I am not familiar with.

This evaluation brewed some emotions from last year. I am always up for a challenge, feedback is important, needs to be done, I guess I am just too hard on myself and when I hear of something negative, I get upset - but at myself.

Not much else to say. I spent my day drinking coffee, reading and reviewing for my week long training that's coming up in a few weeks.




No comments: