I have to say, I am a proud of myself that I walked 3 miles.
But the craziest thing happened after work, when I got in my car and started my drive to Austin. Somewhere between Midland and highway 87, there's a section of highway that's under construction and that's a two lane road. I was just about to cross an overpass bridge, when a truck in front of me, driving from the opposite way, swerved, drove on top of the rail, flew a little bit and then went down the bridge. It happened so fast. A few of us who saw the accident stopped and we ran, ok I walked fast, bad knee. To help whomever it was that went down the bridge. The man who dialed 911, had no idea where we were, so I pulled Google maps and was able to tell the operator. Then I walked down the bridge and the guy was in shock. We were all telling him to sit down, to calm down. His truck was totaled. Twisted tires, hood folded like an accordion. It was not a nice scene.
Then the sheriff showed up and told us to stay away from the truck because it started to smell like gas.
Then the sheriff walked back to check on truck. I know, my reporter instincts kicked in and I wanted to find our more information about the driver.
This is as far as I was able to walk, after the sheriff showed up. I should have taken a photo when I was down there, but you know, gas...explosion. Yeah, not good. And I started talking to the driver and I started asking him questions and it turns out he was looking down when it happened. He didn't say he was on his phone, but his headphones were sticking out of his shirt and back pocket. I don't like to assume, but how in the world do you not see a bridge right in front of you, if you are not doing something else?
I honestly was scared to death when I saw the accident. Had it not been for that rail, he probably would have driven straight into me and the other cars behind me. I thanked God that that didn't happened, and thanked God because the stupid kid didn't run us over. I swear, he was a kid who was dazed and confused. But thank you Sweet Baby Jesus, we all lived to tell the story.
The sheriff didn't want to let us go because we witnessed the accident and the DPS needed to take our witness statements. The ambulance also showed up and took care of the kid.
After about 20 min, we were free to go. I drove super super slow to Austin.
But before, I stopped at what seems like the worlds smallest rest stop.
And then a photo of my awesome car.






No comments:
Post a Comment