Wednesday, October 08, 2014

Coughing up a lung

This cough is killing me.
I have always had this cough come allergy season, but this time around, is somehow uglier. I cough and cough and cough and cough until I feel I am coughing up a lung. My entire body shakes, my eyes water, my throat, chest and stomach ache from the coughing. I swear, I better get a six pack from all this workout.

So far I have been good at controlling it when I am around people at meetings or when I am teaching. But when it does happen, I have gone as far as throwing up. I have that gag reflex and it's both painful and disgusting.

The other day I am so glad my coteacher was there for me. I coughed so hard, my head trembled, tears rolled down my eyes and I freaked out a few of my 3rd period students.

For now, my throat is so scratchy it hurts to swallow sometimes, it feels so raw.

But this is not just allergies, I've had postnasal drip my entire life. This runs in my family actually. My brother had nasel surgery when he was a kid, my mom has postnasal drip, my sister has it. I've always had nose, ear and throat issues. Even Ally and Caleb both have has issues with ear and throat infections.

I always just figured it would go away the older I got. It looks like it's getting worse and coming in with a vengeance. Totally not cool.

Today went well. We had our meetings, I coughed as always, and we all joked and ate lots of food from our potluck. 

Today felt awesome. I know we all have busy lives, we plan and go to meetings and all we would rather do is go home and sleep or stay in our rooms and relax during lunch, as oppose to hanging with people.

The thing is, we spend more than 40 hours together, in the same wing and taking care of the same kids. We are there for a reason and we have the same goal...so why not do more of this?

Next time I hope we plan it out. I would have cooked something yummy instead of having to go to walmart for food.

I enjoyed our lunch. It would be nice if we all made an effort to spend more time with each other. Not only for work, but to get to know each other better. After all, I consider this group my work family. They might not, they all have lives outside work, children to take care of and their significant others, but I don't. Anyway, I should stop this nonsense. I am the single teacher who has nothing to do but daydream about a life I don't have.

No comments: