Today I taught a lesson about a woman who lived in PR and she left for NY. Her childhood memories included guavas. I taught this story last year and a lot of the kids were confused as to what that fruit was. And not to mention, I was getting an observation today so I figured it would be a good opportunity for this.
I spent the night before reading the story, chunking it, writing notes and warm up activities. My first period is usually a little longer and I figured I would use it to test how long it would last. And I didn't get through to the entire lesson! I ran out of time, and I did with every single class. Oy!
And I was praying my department chair would not show up during my first period. I don't know if she did it this way, but I appreciate that she skipped all the first year teachers and didn't show up in our first periods. That gave me time to test the lesson. But then that only meant something, she was showing up during my 3rd period. And I was like, sweet baby Jesus please don't and just as I said that...she walked in...about three minutes before the 3rd period bell. I just froze and freaked and wanted to cry. I literally felt my heart stop and skip a beat. But she walked in and laughed and I didn't get what she said because I was trying not to hyperventilate. She said she was kidding and just wanted to see my reaction. But I laughed, because I didn't hear anything she said...I was just freaked out. We had a good laugh.
And I am so glad she showed up during my fourth period. My 3rd is a bit loud and hyper and there's lots of movement. I have sped kids, normal kids and just hyper kids.
I was nervous and hoped I didn't forget to ask any of the important questions. I did enjoy today's lesson. I just hope she saw how hard I tried. I do have to say, it's an improvement from last year. Last year, I was a wreck.
After school we had an ELA training and I tried so hard to stay awake. I need to catch up on my sleep. Good night world.


No comments:
Post a Comment