Friday, August 14, 2015

The power of one

Sitting there in the top section of Family Faith Church and watching the band kids practice their music and people hugging and smiling brought a wave of emotion. It's that time again - convocation. 

The only difference is this time it's my first one with  Victoria ISD. I called Midland ISD my home for two years. 

And I teared up a bit.


Now I don't know if it was the cowbells people were ringing, the pompoms that were given to us or one of my administrators dancing and cheering us on, but I felt like my life had all connected and led to today. After I left Midland, I spent  a few weeks applying and interviewing for jobs; and when Victoria ISD came calling, I knew this was my place to be. I knew the area, I covered news for the Victoria Advocate. I was familiar with the place.

New teachers started August 5, and we've been busy filling our brains with training, routines, procedures and curriculum.

But being together as a group made me happy. I have come to know some great people with great backgrounds. I didn't feel so lonely. We are here, we have come together for one reason and one reason only - the children of Victoria ISD. Every child, every classroom, every day,  and I am ready to make it happen.

Stroman Middle School will be my home. I am so excited, and yes, a little nervous about teaching 6th grade writing; after all, I taught 9th grade for two years. But I am ready. I am ready to show our students what we have to offer.

We are all united today.

Our superintendent showed us a video called "I am the power of one," and I became inspired.

So here it is, my promise to my students that I will meet August 24. I promise to be your guide to the world of writing. I will guide you to believe in yourself and to hopefully love the subject as much as I do. I will make sure you receive engaging and fun lessons, and I hope that I may be an inspiration to you.

Days will be tough, and stress will surely come, but I know this much is true - I am ready for this fun and amazing trip.

No comments: