Friday, January 24, 2014

Deer in the headlights

Not too long ago I was driving from Midland to Austin to visit my brother, Jan and the kids - Caleb and Aly. This was the first time taking this route and it was dark, about 9 pm. Driving through small towns, very isolated areas and no city lights insight. Just as I was getting comfortable driving, out of nowhere, a deer jumped up on the road and stood still. There it was, in front of me. It was only mili seconds that passed, but I managed to press on the breaks and was able to slow down enough to drive around it. It was a close call, a flash of something was felt through my body. As I managed to compose myself, and thank God I didn't hit the deer and go through my windshield, the image of the deer staring at me came to mind. How was it that I had enough time to react and look at the deer? It was scared, frozen by the fate it thought it was about endure.

And that was the exact same look I had today as I took my teacher certification exam in Lubbock. Weeks of studying came to five hours of staring directly Into the lights of an oncoming car. I drew a blank. Staring at the monitor screen felt like forever. What is it asking? I second guessed myself. I panicked.

I has been nervous all week long, even suffering through a stomach bug the last two days, I managed to squeeze in some studying.

Just as I was about to freak myself out, I began to get text messages from family and friends.

"Good luck, you will do great!" Read one text.

"Don't forget to breathe!" Said another.

But my all time favorite text read:

"Good luck! Rock that shit yo :)"

I could not stop laughing after that. My stress and nervousness had went from the top of Mount Everest, to down to the lowest level possible.

It was then I knew I would be ok. But even though I was feeling like that deer in the headlights, I know that everything is going to be ok.

How do you deal with stress? Email me or comment: acosta6348@gmail.com

No comments: