Wednesday, March 05, 2014

Real life got in the way, rude

I used to be a total fan of Criminal Minds, CSI, Forensic Files and any other medical/murder shows. Today, I can't even stomach them. Why you ask? I blame my last profession. Being a reporter allowed me to witness many things that not everyone can. It's like I volunteered to walk up to something horrible for fun.

Lately I have been thinking of Rickey Lewis. Next month will be a year since his death. Hard to believe I was a witness. Difficult to comprehend, that part of my job was to witness him die.

Article I wrote, Click HERE

I don't think of him as I once did. It was daily, couldn't sleep, couldn't close my eyes without seeing him there. His last words still fresh in my mind. His last breath. It was a well organized event, that only a few VIPs witnessed. Sounds cold and harsh, but the reality only about one percent of reporters experience this.

I still remember showing up to work the following day. Puffy eyes, tired, sleepy, hungry and sitting at my desk trying to stay busy, to forget what I had witnessed the day before. My then editor came to me and said, "Congratulations, welcome to the one percent club."

Instead of feeling some sense of accomplishment or sense of happiness for being a part of some "elite" club, all I wanted to do was throw up.

Ok, time to write about something else now. Work went well. Kids are still insane and excited about spring break. I don't blame them, I am so ready, but it's been difficult they don't let me have a normal day to lecture. They are too excited to leave.

Needless to say, I wish I would have had about five of these today.


For lunch I had this deliciousness.


And for dinner:


Just two more days and I can relax for a week. Yay :)



No comments: