Truth be told, I enjoy reading the paper, but I am doing this to improve my reading skills and prepare for the next school year. I was told to relax and take the summer off, but I can't knowing there so much to do to improve. Last semester, some students told my boss that I couldn't read/pronounce/say clearly some words/phrases/sentences that I read to them. I know Spanish is my first language, but who doesn't have difficultly pronouncing some words? Take for example foreign people that are professors, doctors or engineers. I know a lot of them and they can't pronounce words clearly. But alas, I am a teacher and kids need to understand me. And if I want to continue being an English teacher, I do have to improve my reading skills and learn how to pronounce words.
And I really like this because I can replay what I read and can listen to myself. Spanish is my first language, but I never considered or thought I would have an accent. I guess the more people tell me, the more I hear it now. All my life I have always been nervous about speaking outloud because my brain thinks in Spanish and getting those words to come out of my mouth in English has been a problem sometimes. I guess that's one of the reasons I decided to be a writer. People can't listen to your written words.
It has been fun recording because there are some words that I need to pronounce correctly. One of the words that I had to practice more than once today was cephallanographissmet. I was like, what the what? I like to use dictionary.com and click on the audio to listen to the correct pronunciation, but I couldn't even find it.
I am so glad I volunteered here, by the end of the summer I will sound better when reading outloud and I won't scare the kids away next year.
Another thing I was asked to do was to practice a lesson or learn how to speak clearly in front of people. I met today with the person in charge of the children's department at the museum and I will be volunteering in July to help out with the Science Summer Camp. Not only will it help me improve my teaching skills, it's going to help me get more practice. And these are kids grades 3rd to 6th. A totally different bunch, but it will help me.
This afternoon I continued to study for my certification. I am trying not to stress or freak out. The last two times I took it, I got really sick before hand and even ended up in the hospital. I am trying to stay calm and collective. My moms been stressing me out, asking me if I studied or if I did any studying today. I tell her I know what I need to do, I need to do this at my pace. I just worry because I don't want to feel like a failure again and disappoint the bosses. Although I already feel I am doing that.
Ok enough negativity, here's a photo of my drink today.



No comments:
Post a Comment