Thursday, December 11, 2014

A thousand miles

Today is the first time in a while I come home without having to study. This feeling of needing to crack open the test manuals and worksheets lingered as I sat down to watch some tv.

Yesterday after I left the university testing site, all I wanted to do was cry. I prayed enough, studied enough and prepared enough. Now I have that very long wait, to see if I passed.

Today after work, I met with my boss to talk to him about the test and plan B. I told him I had to be realistic, I had to honestly look and discuss it. He was amazing. I know I am doing what's best for me and my future, but he's such an awesome boss, I don't want to let him go!

He reminds me of a boss I had when I worked at Dell. She was honest, fun, patient, there when you needed her. When something went wrong, she never went on the attack and jump to conclusions. No, she always talked to you, like a normal person and heard you out.

He does that all the time. I like his open door policy. I am sure there are times he would rather be answering emails, than talking to someone like me who just happened to stop by and say hello.

One of the biggest mistakes I ever made when I worked under her was shipping close to $10,000 worth of wrong service parts. There was a recall at the time and I sent parts to a big account, it may have been Brazil or maybe Colombia, and sent the parts in bulk. The problem was, I had sent the wrong part. When I realized my mistake, I knew I was getting fired for sure. I worried and nervously went to talk to her. After much research and fixing the mistake, she set me aside. With tears in my eyes, she hugged me and told me to learn from the mistake. She said it would be dumb to fire me and hire someone new. It would cost the company more time and energy to hire and retrain someone. She looked at me and told me to hold my head up and learn from the mistake. A very expensive mistake, but a mistake.

I credit her for everything I became at that company. To this day I still keep in touch with her.

One more week and then we are off for two weeks. Can't wait to see family and eat lots of good food and see great friends. So excited!!

From my secret bulldog!!


What I had for dinner:



No comments: