It is day two of post surgery and recovery and I can honestly say...ouch that hurts. I was trying to be strong yesterday. So much so that I refused the wheelchair and walked out of the hospital on my own. I know, I am regretting it right now. I may have been filled with meds that I didn't feel any major pain - until this afternoon.
I have been thinking about yesterday and what I remember from the whole experience.
We left for the hospital about 7:30 and arrived before check in of 8 am.
I watched my favorite song again before getting up to pray one more time with my parents. A prayer before bed and a prayer before taking off to the hospital.
Once we arrived, we were sent to room 4442 and was asked to sit there while the nurse checked me in. She gave me hospital clothes and tags. She also started an IV and gave me some fluids.
This nurse was so nice and gentle. She gave me a little shot of something so that the pain wasn't so bad when she stuck the needle in search for my vein.
Then we waited until I was called in for the anesthesiology dude to show up before my surgery at 10:55 am.
So we waited.
My dad found the free wifi and my mom watched television.
About 10:30, they rolled me to the waiting area where I would be given some anesthesia before heading to the OR. I met some very nice and chatty nurses, which was awesome because I was nervous.
It all felt very real. I had been holding back the fear, worry, stress and everything in between. Finally the nurse looked at me and told me to relax. She asked me to stop asking questions and let it go. And she was right.
My doctor showed up, talks to me for a bit and then the anesthesiologist gave me a little doze (that's what he called it) so I can relax a bit. Then they rolled me to the operating room. My mom went to the waiting area and then I was in the room. A bunch of nurses and doctors and even some interns where there to watch. I had met them before and I knew they would be there. Hey, I helped some future doctors. Haha they just watched, they in no way participated in the procedure.
One of the nurses asked me to move to the next table. I did, they secured me. People all over me, moving my IV, making sure I was comfortable and settling in me in. One of the nurses put a breathing mask on me and asked me to breathe in deeply. I looked over to him and asked him not to drop me. He laughed and said not to worry.
And that's all I remember. Next thing I open my eyes and everything was so blurry. Obviously because I didn't have my glasses. I started coughing. Two nurses came over and asked me if I knew where I was. I have no idea what I answered. I was in and out. It felt like I wanted to keep sleeping, but couldn't because I wanted to get up. The nurses kept asking me not to move. And I couldn't get up, what was I thinking. But in that moment of confusion, I wanted to get up. My lip was hurting and so I touched it. The nurse said it was from the breathing tube they had put in me. I had no idea they would be putting one on me. No wonder my throat was hurting and felt dry.
And so I closed my eyes. Next thing I remember I was back in my room. My parents are there. A new nurse is talking to me but I can't remember what she's saying or if she's even asking a question. My mom tries to put my glasses on but I move them away from my face. I felt like a drunk. Someone who had totally and utterly waisted their entire night drinking shot after shot and was now being kicked out of the bar, but being the annoying customer, refusing to leave.
My mom said they gave her this card to keep them updated on my surgery. This is kind of cool.
But my mom later said she was super worried because the "patient in surgery" was never changing to the next level. Then "surgery started" and that's when she said she started to get even more nervous.
She later told me the doctor told them everything went well. The mass was removed and everything else they were doing went well. (I shall spare you my one reader of what else they did). Overall, it was three things they did and the removal and biopsy of that mass was just one of them.
So I went back to sleep. It was now about 2 pm and the nurse asked if I wanted something warm. She brought me chicken soup and crackers. I ate and they were glad. She said I had to eat, pee and be aware of my surroundings before they released me from hospital. All three were successfully completed and I was released soon after.
The rest of the day I felt ok. I had no pain. I did lay in bed and watched some television. My parents cooked for me. The doctor said I couldn't eat anything big or solid, like a burger. Darn it because that's what I wanted for lunch.
But after getting this bowl of deliciousness all was amazing in my world.
This morning I woke feeling a bit better.
And so to pass the time I started playing Candy Crush. So much that I am up to level 25 right now.
And I wore my lucky monkey hat.
Then suddenly, out of nowhere, I started to feel pain and lots of it. In my stomach area, my jaw, my back. Oh gosh, all the meds they had given me at the hospital were now officially out of my system.
I am taking the pain killers they gave me, but this is unlike any cramping or pain I have experience before. This is the pain I would be going through had meds and anesthesia didn't exist.
But I ate more caldo. Napped. Listened to music and played more Candy Crush.
Then my dad surprised me with this for dinner.
And all was ok in the world. I am seriously in so much pain now and this is all I can remember from the surgery. My throat is so raspy from the breathing tube, I have been trying not to talk to much. I am off to bed. One more day to get better before heading to work Thursday.











No comments:
Post a Comment