Tuesday, March 03, 2015

Well hello there

Life has been busy. Lesson plans, teaching, meetings, STAAR, meetings, STAAR....wait, I already said that. The STAAR test has invaded my life. We have been busy preparing the kiddos for the test that is just around the corner. I hope my kids do well. Too much pressure has been put upon us for the kids to do well.

But before this entry turns completely into a work related entry, since the surgery I went back for my follow up doctor appointment and the 3 centimeter mass is benign. They removed it and it was benign. I know! Benign! I was so happy and relieved and excited and kept thanking God everything was ok. My celebration wasn't long lasting, a few days after my appointment, I caught a cold. Then the cold turned into a bad cough and now the bad cough has turned into laryngitis. I know, sounds like such a scary word. But really, every time I get a cold this happens. It's really no surprise, it's annoying more than anything else. And teaching has been very difficult. The kids misbehave, I raise my voice and the kids can't understand me. I have been using my hands to clap to get their attention. I have slammed my lotion bottle against the desk to get their attention or I will just ask a student to raise their voice and tell kids to pay attention. I love and appreciate those students that do care enough to help me and get annoyed by those who purposely keep talking. But this is true, I am not going to damage my vocal chords for those kids that don't care.


Today what I have been waiting weeks to happen, happened. I finally got my annual appraisal by my boss. The first week it was rescheduled because I was sick, then I had the surgery and now finally it happened. I was scheduled for a visit from the boss between Monday and Friday this week and had no idea what period he would show up. Today during lunch, I got an email from my him asking me what period I preferred he come for my appresial. I quickly replied 6th period. I appreciate him for doing that. As soon as I hit the sent button on that email, I walked over to my room, just in case. Didn't say he would show up today, just what class period. I got my handouts, PowerPoint ready and fixed my desks into rows since I had the other students work in groups.

I think my observation went well. I've had other teachers tell me he has no expression on his face the entire time he's there. He only writes notes and one even told me he looked sleepy in one of the observations. As I taught, I looked over and he didn't look sleepy. I did see him crack a little smile when I said something, which was silly. When I get nervous I say stupid stuff. I talked about the time I was a reporter and then I spoke about my keurig as an example. I pray I didn't say anything too terrible and that he actually understood my lecture, specially with this laryngitis. I tried so hard. When he got up to leave, I looked at him and said, "I hope I didn't bore you." Not sure when I will get my results. I have been nervous about this the entire time, but today I just told myself I would be ok, "just teach" I told myself. And then I said a little prayer. If I sucked or not, I am very proud of myself. Last year I was bad, I even knew I was bad as my observation was happening. I felt like a sinking Titanic. Today, I didn't feel like that. But I've had an entire year to prepare for today. I just hope he noticed that.

Here is something that happened in the last week.






No comments: