Sunday, August 23, 2015

First day of school

I fell asleep sitting up this afternoon and got up in a panic. "I'm late for school!" I jumped off my bed and my tired, sore body abided. Then I stopped and realized I had fallen asleep after a long workday this Saturday morning. 

"It's ok," I told my self.

As a teacher, my worry is making sure I am teaching enough content and making sure they understand what I am teaching. My end goal is to teach all that they will need to be successful as they progress through their educational career.

Between meetings and trainings these last couple of weeks, I've sat in my classroom at Stroman Middle School and looked around, wondering how to decorate my classroom. Truth be told, when I taught high school I never really decorated. I posted a few posters here and there and everything went off great.

This year is different. Middle school is a whole other monster and I am learning very quickly. So I went all out. I used some of the $150 that was given to us by VISD and the VISD Education Foundation and bought posters and borders and letters at The Teacher Tool Box. Everything to make my class colorful and inviting and cool looking if I don't say so myself.

I spent most of my Saturday morning in my classroom stapling 100 sets of my classroom guidelines for students on Monday. Why? Because I haven't been able to figure out the copier. But that's ok. That's just one of the many things I have been doing to prepare for the first day of school. The last two days have been spent trying to figure out how to work things, were to go for things and who to ask. They tell us all this at the beginning of the trainings, but yes, I must remember where I wrote it all down.

Overall throughout the stress and panic moments - Which I had a few this week- the best part for me was being able to meet my students and their parents. Friday afternoon was a "mini open house" and was a chance for them to get their schedules, walk around campus and meet their teachers. So I made sure that my room was decent looking and left my door wide open, waiting for them to show up. And show up they did. I was filled with joy to see so many of them walk through my door and introduce themselves to me. Getting to talk to parents and meeting was great.

At the end of the day, every bone and muscle on my body was hurting (and demanding my comfortable bed) but it was all worth it. As a teacher, I know I am blessed to be starting another school year and contribute to Stroman Middle School. I have a calling to teach English, be a leader, be a role model to my students and build relationships. It's going to be a fun year. I am ready, are you?








No comments: